Further Reading, Publications and Statistics
Clinicopathological data of the features of CRGV in 178 dogs (2012 – 2019)
- 91% of cases were seen between November and May.
- Cross breeds (21%) and Labradors (16.8%) were the most heavily represented breeds.
- Of the 178 dogs, 53.9% were female and 66.3% were neutered.
- The average age was 5 years but with a very broad age range (0.5 - 14.8 years).
- The average time between a limb lesion appearing and the development of sudden onset kidney failure was 3 days with a wide range from 4 - 45 days.
- 15+ suspected survivors (skin lesions and acute kidney injury) but no histological diagnosis.
- Mortality rate of 94.2% with AKI (limitations on this data due to survivors being underrepresented as they are not confirmed CRGV cases)
Further reading on CRGV:
Carpenter JL, Andelman NC, Moore FM, King NW Jr. Idiopathic cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy of greyhounds. Vet Pathol. 1988;25(6):401-407.
Cowan LA, Hertzke DM, Fenwick BW, Andreasen CB. Clinical and clinicopathologic abnormalities in greyhounds with cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy: 18 cases (1992-1994). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1997;210(6):789-793.
Fenwick BW, Cowan LA. Canine model of hemolytic-uremic syndrome. In: Kaper JB, O’Brien AD, eds. Escherichia coli 0157:H7 and Other Shiga Toxin-Producing E. coli Strains. ASM Press; 1998:268-277.
Hendricks A. Akute ulzerative dermatitis bei einem greyhound. In: Proceedings of the 46th Annual Congress of the Small Animal Veterinary Association. Dusseldorf, Germany: Small Animal Veterinary Association; 2000:62-63.
Holm LP, Hawkins I, Robin C, et al. Cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy as a cause of acute kidney injury in dogs in the UK. Vet Rec. 2015;176(15):384.
Jepson RE, Cardwell JM, Cortellini S, Holm L, Stevens K, Walker D. Cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy: what do we know so far? Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2019;49(4):745-762.
Ross L. Acute kidney injury in dogs and cats. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2011;41(1):1-14.
Rotermund A, Peters M, Hewicker-Tratwein M, Nolte I. Cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy in a great dane resembling ‘Alabama rot’ of greyhounds. Vet Rec. 2002;151(17):510-512.
Skulberg R, Cortellini S, Chan DL, Stanzani G, Jepson RE. Description of the use of plasma exchange in dogs with cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy. Front. Vet. Sci., 2018
Stevens KB, Jepson R, Holm LP, Walker DJ, Cardwell JM. Spatiotemporal patterns and agroecological risk factors for cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy (Alabama Rot) in dogs in the UK. Vet Rec. 2018;183(16):502.
Stevens KB, O’Neill D, Jepson R, Holm LP, Walker DJ, Cardwell JM. Signalment risk factors for cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy (Alabama rot) in dogs in the UK. Vet Rec. 2018;183(14):448.
Walker JJA, Holm LP, Sarmiento OG, Caianiello R, Cortellini S, Walker DJ. Clinicopathological features of cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy in 178 dogs. Vet Rec. 2021 Aug;189(4):e72.